We understand that it can be difficult for you to take the first step in seeking legal advice, if you have been the victim of Domestic Abuse.

You can be sure  that if you instruct us to assist you, we will deal with your case in a sensitive  and pragmatic manner. We have both male and female lawyers who can assist you, should you have a preference .

We can also advise you on other areas of the law where you may need legal advice as a consequence; i.e. Child Arrangement Orders.

Legal Aid is still largely available to assist in cases which involve Domestic Abuse, should you meet the financial eligibility criteria.

Domestic Abuse can include but is not limited to: -

  • Physical abuse (pushing, slapping, punching or intimidation)
  • Sexual abuse
  • Emotional abuse
  • Psychological abuse (harassment, pestering, shouting)
  • Controlling behaviour (financial control and social isolation)
  • Coercive or threatening behaviour
  • Culturally specific forms of abuse including, but not limited to, forced marriage, honour-based violence and transnational marriage abandonment

Domestic abuse can happen to anyone and is far more prevalent than most people realise. Abuse may include a series of acts forming a pattern of behaviour or one single act.

In a case of emergency, you should always contact the police.

Non-Molestation Orders

One of the protection Orders you can seek is a Non-Molestation Order which: -

  1. Prohibits the Respondent from molesting another person who is “associated” with the Respondent
  2. Prohibits the Respondent from molesting a relevant child

Occupation Order

Another protective Order open to “associated persons” is an Occupation Order. The general aim of such Order is to determine who is to live in the family home. Orders can also be made about the payment of rent or mortgage and deal with belongings and contents of the home.

If you are an “associated” person you can apply for an Occupation Order if you: -

  1. Have a legal or contractual right to occupy the home
  2. Have a beneficial interest as a former spouse or civil partner to occupy the home
  3. Are a cohabitant or a former cohabitant with no existing right to occupy the home where your cohabitant or former cohabitant had a right to occupy the home
  4. You or your former spouse/civil partner have no right to occupy the home
  5. You or your former cohabitant have no right to occupy the home

False Accusations

Unfortunately, false accusations of domestic abuse can sometimes be made, leaving those accused facing the possibility of losing their children, their home, or sometimes even their freedom.

Should you need representation to respond to false allegations of domestic abuse, you can be sure that we will deal with your case in a sensitive, unbiased manner.

Please do not hesitate to contact any of our family team for assistance in this regard. We have both male and female lawyers who can assist you, should you have a preference.

Free Guide to Domestic Abuse & Protection Orders

Download this free John Boyle Solicitors guide